Friday 3 September 2010

Things to do in France

See:

http://www.lost-in-france.com/things-to-do/details/54


Inspired by Les Matelles


Anglo-Welsh Artist exhibits in Les Matelles

David Abse moved to France over three years ago with his wife Kitty and his step-daughter Jemima. Originally moving to Ganges in the Cévennes, they have settled for nearly two years now in the beautiful medieval village of Les Matelles. “We feel very welcome here” says David “The Matellois are very friendly welcoming people, and we have really settled into the village”. So much so that earlier this year David took over the former Menuiserie on the corner of Chemin des Jasses and Ancien chemin du Triadou, to set up his new venture: Matelles-Art.

“I’ve been earning my living working with charities in the UK for the last 20-odd years” says David “But I never stopped painting, drawing and producing work. But now I am here in Les Matelles I am really inspired, and have been very productive”. David studied art and design for four years in the UK, and has exhibited throughout the UK and elsewhere in the world. “I’ve had pieces in exhibitions all over the place” says David “In Japan, Poland and the USA, as well as the UK. Now I’m able to show my work in France.”

From September 11th 2010 David’s new work is being exhibited at the Galerie Matelles-Art in Les Matelles. Much of David’s work is inspired by the local environment: particularly Pic Saint Loup, and the village of Les Matelles. “I love Pic Saint Loup” says David “I love the different colours and shapes it makes from different angles at different times of the day”. David drove around and round the mountain several times in his little MG Midget taking photographs and making sketches as preparatory work for his pictures. “And then I paint in the atelier. It’s great there, I am well equipped and have plenty of space”. David has converted the front of the atelier into a Gallery/Boutique – where David sells giclée prints of his work, hand-printed T shirts he has designed and original design clocks. But the shop is being cleared out now to exhibit his work. Paintings of all shapes and sizes are being exhibited, and as well as being able to buy the paintings, people are also able to buy smaller original giclée prints on canvas and paper of the artwork, produced by David himself. “I like the idea of being able to offer my work to a wide audience” says David “I’ve always produced screen prints and etchings, but getting together a printer so that I could do giclée prints is really exciting.” Giclée prints are produced on a high-quality large-format printer, by David himself, who ensures that the quality of each print meets his standards, printing with quality inks on top-standard canvas. Each print is signed by the artist.

The exhibition commences at Matelles-Art on September 11th – “My late mother’s birthday” David points out, “ She was an art historian, so I hope she would have liked my work”.  For those unable to get to the exhibition David’s work is also on-line at the Matelles-Art website at www.matelles-art.com. The exhibition runs until November 14th.  “After that we’ll be concentrating on selling things for Christmas” says David.

For further details contact:

David Abse,  Matelles-Art,  Ancien Chemin du Triadou, 34270 Les Matelles

04 67 58 93 57 • 06 98 56 66 24   •  david@matelles-art.com  •  www.matelles-art.com

No comments:

Post a Comment